Become an Instructor
ACE Group Fitness Instructor Certification Preparation Program
The American Council on Exercise (ACE) Certification Preparation Program is designed to prepare students to sit for the ACE group fitness instructor certification or another nationally recognized group fitness certification. With this ACE approved curriculum, offered by KU Recreation Services, students will be engaged in practical application of the materials covered. The course will offer both lecture and movement training, applying theory to practice. Upon successful completion of the program, students will have demonstrated their knowledge and skills of:
- Exercise science
- Participant monitoring
- Communication and instructional techniques
- Class design and development
- Exercise Form and technique
- Basic nutrition
- Motivational skills
Following the course offered by KU Recreation Services, the ACE Group Fitness Instructor Certification, a nationally accredited and recognized group fitness certification, will be offered at the Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center (ASRFC). Participants of the group fitness instructor program will receive a 20% discount on the exam and study materials.
Students who complete the group fitness instructor training program will be eligible to audition for hire prior to taking a certification exam. If hired, a professional group fitness certification will be required within 6 months of hire to maintain employment as a group fitness instructor at KU Recreation Services. Students may choose to take the ACE certification exam when it is held on campus or sit for another certification of their choice.
Costs associated with the program:
ACE Group Fitness Instructor Preparation Program Fee
$100.00 - Payable in Rm 103 ASRFC
ACE Group Fitness Instructor text, study guide & practice test bundle (20% discount)
ACE Group Fitness Certification Exam (20% discount)
- Study materials can be purchased online at acefitness.org/student or another book source of your choice. Please purchase the ACE Group Fitness Instructor Handbook and Study Companion. Online practice test optional.
- Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center
- Room 203/Aerobics Studio
Who is eligible:
- All currently enrolled KU students taking at least 6 credit hours at Lawrence or Edwards campuses or online (Not KUMC)
What to Expect:
- Out of the 2 days per week, one day will be spent in lecture style learning and the other day will be practical style learning (in the Aerobics room going through class programming).